Friday, February 8, 2013

Funky Friday ~ My Grammy Picks!

A few months ago I wrote about 25 Things to get to know me better. Well, Sunday night is Grammy night, and it reminded me of an important detail I left out about myself.

26. There is always music playing in my head.

Think about the times when you hear a catchy tune on your way to work, and it plays over and over in your head all day. Drives you crazy, right? That's what it's like for me all. day. long. And if I'm really stressed out, in my dreams as well.

It could be anything. A commercial jingle, a tune from The Sound of Music, the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, a Top 40 hit, or something silly my kids made up. But everything that comes through my ears throughout the day reminds me of a song, and then it plays over and over until it gets kicked out of my head by another phrase that reminds me of another song.

I never thought this was odd. I guess I just assumed everybody had this thing going on, until one day when Theresa and Andrea and I were on a cruise about four years ago. We were laying out on the Lido Deck reading quietly and sipping cocktails when Theresa suddenly said to me, "What are you doing?"

Me: "Reading, why?"
Theresa: "No, I mean, what are you doing with your toes?"
Me: "Nothing, what do you mean?"
Theresa: "What do you mean, nothing? You're bending them, like this..."

It was then that I realized that my toes were bending, for lack of a better word, to a beat. I don't remember what song my head was playing at the time, but I told them about it. "Oh, that's just (insert song)." I thought they would understand, but little did I know I was totally alone in this quirky habit.

Theresa: "Well, just stop."
Me: "I can't just stop."
My brain: "I just can't stop loving you! And if I stop, then tell me just what will I do..."

We continued on reading, but by then it was really bugging her.

Theresa: "Stop!"
My brain: "Stop! In the name of love..."
Me: "Alright, alright, but it just happens, I swear!"
My brain: "And I swear, by the moon and the stars in the sky, I'll be there..."

You get the idea. It's not only a problem with my toes, but also my thumbs. I'm weird. I know. But to put a positive spin on it, I really love music, so I guess it's better than hearing voices or spontaneously screaming obscenities. So, in honor of my funky little habit, here are some of my picks for the 2013 Grammy Awards on Sunday night.

Record of the Year
» The Black Keys - "Lonely Boy"
» Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger"
» Fun. feat. Janelle Monae - "We Are Young"
» Gotye feat. Kimbra - "Somebody That I Used to Know"
» Frank Ocean - "Thinkin Bout You"
» Taylor Swift - "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"

This is a really close one for me, with "We Are Young" coming in a close 2nd, but in the end I am a sucker for an awesome bass line, that can really get my thumbs and toes going in an offbeat sort of way, so Gotye wins this battle.

Song of the Year
» Ed Sheeran - "The A Team"
» Miguel - "Adorn"
» Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe"
» Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)"
» Fun. - "We Are Young"

 I know "Call Me Maybe" was all the rage, and if I were 16 I swear I would have made 28 videos featuring myself lip-syncing that song, but "We Are Young" just strikes me as an anthem for this generation, and I think it has staying power.

 Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
» Florence and the Machine - "Shake It Out"
» Fun. - "We Are Young"
» Gotye feat. Kimbra - "Somebody That I Used to Know"
» LMFAO - "Sexy and I Know It"
» Maroon 5 - "Payphone"

Oh, Adam, how I hate to vote against you, but how can you argue with LMFAO? The way those guys make fun songs without taking themselves too seriously cracks me up. They probably won't win, because the Grammy's tend to go to more serious artists, but it would be fun if they did.

Best Rock Performance
» Alabama Shakes - "Hold On"
» The Black Keys - "Lonely Boy"
» Coldplay - "Charlie Brown"
» Mumford & Sons - "I Will Wait"
» Bruce Springsteen - "We Take Care of Our Own"

Who does not love this song??? And I am not a banjo thumping, knee slappin' gal, but this tune gets me going!!!

Best Rap Song
» Nas - "Daughters"
» Wale feat. Miguel - "Lotus Flower Bomb"
» Kanye West Featuring Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz - "Mercy"
» Drake feat. Lil' Wayne - "The Motto"
» Jay-Z & Kanye West - "N---as In Paris"
» Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars - "Young, Wild & Free"

No questions. Best song. Wanna get pumped up? Play it.

Best New Artist
» The Alabama Shakes
» Fun.
» Hunter Hayes
» The Lumineers
» Frank Ocean

One of my fav songs this year is "Hey Ho" by the Lumineers, but since they only really have one hit so far, my vote goes to Fun., who has proved that they can produce multiple hits with the kind of songs that really get your toes moving.

I guess we'll see on Sunday! Enjoy the performances and the dresses, and rest assured that I won't be watching with Theresa, so my thumbs can freely bop to the beat. ("To the beat of the rhythm of the night, dance until the morning light. Forget about the worries of your mind, you can leave them all behind..."


No comments:

Post a Comment